Sunday 2 November 2014

Community - We are not alone

I just hung up from today's Skype date and immediately felt a sense of relief. Having missed October's Skype I was feeling quite isolated and removed from this whole MA process. I have been working through my AOL's, trying to read a few books, and struggling with Blogging and journaling, the whole time feeling disconnected from the process. Having this time to sit and listen to others and hear about their challenges and revelations has me feeling much more connected to this MA community. Although I am an ocean away I know that there are others like me out there! Adesola's comments about the importance of reading and commenting on each others Blogs struck me. I obviously needed the reminder that I am not doing this alone and that as a group we can use each others Blogs and learning experiences to influence our own pathway through this MA - and in turn develop community. This is a very different experience then any other that I have been involved in. My past learning and work environments have always been deeply rooted in community. This MA at first seems very isolating, but I can see now how our Blogs, Linkedin and our Skype sessions can help create the community that I am missing. One day in the near future I hope to pop over to London and come visit you all in person :) In the mean time I am going to make it a priority to stay on top of Blogging so that I continually remind myself that I am not alone in this journey and I am part of something greater.

This past month my mom was in Switzerland at the IADMS conference. While she was there she met some women from the Middlesex dance program who were teaching on Limon technique and aerobics (I hope I have that right). I received a very excited email from her telling me that she had heard rave reviews about Middlesex University, met these women and told them that I was in the MA program. She mentioned that they were also intrigued by our connection with Limon technique. Although I do not know who these women are and may never meet them, my mom's email was another reminder that I am connected to Middlesex, it's faculty and students, even when I feel isolated over here in the snow!

So I have come to a conclusion and I have come up with a mantra… We are not going through this alone, we have each other to help guide the way :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ainsley, It is very much the case of being community and you'll grow to love it's convenience. I found it great having a MA room at my house or when I was dancing on the cruise liner in the states the coffee shop! Having a place dedicated to studying so you don't cross the boundaries of taking your work home with you it's good to separate. Like your mantra their is a song called "You'll never walk alone" which is the motto and song for Liverpool football club, you might want to play it to get in the mood! I found it great having a mini notebook just if inspiration came on the go, reflection is a powerful tool Their is also a bloodspot app if you have a smart phone. Look forward to hearing more of your journey and welcome to the community!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9sFd3Ennhs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, commented on my own blog rather then replying on your comment. See below...

      Delete
  2. Thanks Jamie!
    I had a good chuckle reading your comment and listening to the song! Doesn't seem like a typical theme song for a sports team, but I do love it :)
    Thank you also for the great ideas! The last few weeks I have been working both at home and a local coffee shop, trying to figure out which location helps me focus the best. I think I am leaning towards the coffee shop and will actually be heading there soon to work on my AOL's.
    I just tried to find the bloodspot app, but can't seem to come across it. Is it called Bloodspot?

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a typo Ainsley sorry! Try 'Blogspot' or 'Blogger' this works for me on my UK app store for my iPhone, I know from when I worked in the US there are differences, don't know if this is the same for Canada, here is the UK link you might be able to download it:

    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blogger/id459407288?mt=8

    ReplyDelete