Monday 7 December 2015

Data Analysis and other things...

Hello all,

 I felt that yesterday's Skype session (evening) was extremely informative. Having decided to take a step back and defer my submission to May, I am a step behind most who are in Module 3. So hearing about where each of you are at and the experiences you have had with data analysis and writing really helped me understand what lies ahead. I took many notes during our Skype that I am sure will be useful as I move forward through Module 3. So thank you everyone :)

To be honest, amongst the hustle and bustle of life I often forget about our blogs and Linkedin. However when I do take the time to sit down and read through each of your blogs, I become inspired and motivated not just about blogging but about our MA and the dance world in general. It is refreshing reading blogs of people I have never met, yet seem to be living very similar experiences to myself. That is the beauty of dance, I feel it is a thread that ties people together into a community of similar thinkers, movers and feelers - even if these people never meet. Does that make sense?

Feeling like I have nothing to say in my blog, I decided to read through everyone else's first. I was pleasantly surprised to read that many of you have had the same feelings towards blogs that I have. What is this? I don't know what to say. Why do I need to do this. I loved reading Sarah and Suzy's blogs about their process of overcoming these thoughts and realizing how liberating blogging can be. And that writing can be an extension of our thoughts, discoveries and experiences. I believe it was Sarah who said she doesn't consider herself to be extremely creative. I feel yah! I say the same thing about myself. Which I have come to realize is a lie. No, I may not seem as creative as some of my peers, but I am creative in my own way. And I think it is lies like this one that stop us from doing things that we are not comfortable with or feel we have nothing to share. This is my experience with blogs. I often feel as though, "Why would anyone want to read about…?" So I don't share. But a big part of this MA is reflecting, sharing and encouraging others. Actually not just this MA but life. I also think that the stigma of over-sharing opinions online has hindered my desire to want to blog. So I am continually having to remind myself that this is different. This blog is for those who are walking through the same journey as myself and it actually can be a useful tool for both myself and other MAPPers.

Ok, on to the part that I am supposed to be writing about. Data analysis. Having not officially begun my data analysis, I can not necessarily speak to my specific experience with it, but more to the advise and ideas that I received from others during our Skype call.
The reason I have not been able to move onto Data analysis yet is because silly me, I decided to transcribe all of my audio recorded interviews. Each is about 1 hour in length, which takes me 5-6 hours to type. I am down to my last 3 interviews, and am now realizing I really should have thought of a better way of doing this! hahah, but it is too late now. I am almost done :) Even though this has been an incredibly long and strenuous job, it has been very enjoyable. It is one thing to sit and talk with someone, but to then spend 6 hours typing out the conversation word for word is really eye opening and enlightening. I feel that this process will actually assist me when it comes time to sort through all of my data, because I will be able to recall and identify details from each interview. I read in Louise's blog that she is under the same stress with her video recordings. Good luck Louise!

I am curious how much data you each had? I am beginning to worry that I may have too much!!!

Analysis - In our Skype conversation we were talking about the need for being thorough when sorting data and selective or strict with ourselves when choosing which findings to include in our final project. I believe it was Mary and Cathi who were having the conversation about literature. Cathi was mentioning that the more she analysis her data and finds new literature to back up her findings, she ends up with new trains of thoughts and new information to add to her project. Mary reflected back on her experience with completing Module 3 and recommended that Cathi (and the rest of us) be selective and stick with the literature that first stood out to her. What first inspired, enlightened or confirmed the idea is the literature that one should focus on. Would this also be something to consider for data analysis, coding and selecting what to include in the final project? I am not sure. We did talk about the fact that as we sort through our data and create themes, themes may emerge that were not considered when the proposal was created or data collection began. And some of these themes may actually be more prevalent then others that were assumed to appear. This is the exciting thing about research! I have already noticed in my own data collection that there are ideas coming forth that I did not expect. I am excited to sit down in the next few months and begin analyzing my data. But to be honest, I am extremely intimidated about this process because I feel I may be inundated with data, thoughts and directions!!! ahhhh……   Any advise?
Thank you Sarah for sharing your Rhizome with us. I am definitely going to use that!


The last thing I want to share is an image I had earlier in November that led to my decision to defer. I had been dealing with a sever back injury, a completely full schedule and a brain on overload when one night in my sleep I had this beautiful image come to me. Here is what I wrote….

It is like I am scuba diving in the Caribbean - I am at the bottom of the ocean taking in the beauty of the coral reefs, fish, and amazing things. It is so beautiful and enjoyable that I don't want to come up - however my time and air is running out so I must begin to ascend. This ascension takes time, it must be a slow controlled and perfectly timed process or there are consequences. When I reach the surface I can breath again and consider all that I have just experienced! The make my way back to the boat and call it a day!

I feel I am still at the bottom of the ocean taking in the beauty, but I know that I am running out of time! However I need to take my time ascending - sifting through the data, really digging into the analysis process and literature. For me I feel this stage will be important in order to really look at my data and get the most out of it that I can. Then I can reach the surface and begin to formulate my thoughts. And finally, make my way to Middlesex to share it with you all. I was wavering back and forth between January or May and realized, I am in no hurry! I had planned this whole year for school anyway. I know that if I rush to finish in January I will not do anywhere near my best work, nor will I enjoy it! What I am learning is so incredible and intriguing, I want to continue to learn and grow and develop my practice. And I know that if I rush to complete, this will not happen for me to the extent that it could if I gave myself more time.

Merde everyone on this final push to the end of term! I felt a little sad yesterday during our Skype thinking that some of these familiar voices may not be around next term! So hopefully some of you will pop into our Skype calls from time to time. And I may be reaching out to some of you for advice on Module 3!

Best of luck with your final presentations! Merde :)
Ainsley

1 comment: